Monday 4 April 2011

The truth – does it really matter?

I get lots of emails, but my favourites are the ones that teach me about the way things really are in this world of ours. The ones that tell me why I should be frightened and/or disgusted by foreigners (or to give them their proper name, Muslims) or how our namby-pamby government is ruining our country (usually by letting in Muslims).

Now, most of these emails could be a lot shorter than they are. They could just say “I don’t like Muslims” and that would be enough, because what usually follows are either lies, illogical, or irrelevant. So why go to the effort if making it a lot longer than it needs to be? 

If we start with the original author (my apologies to any real authors out there – I don’t mean to sully your title by using it to describe these fuckwits) they know that the people most likely to be convinced, don’t need much to convince them or are stupid enough to believe anything, no matter how implausible, that appears to confirm the views they already hold. 

So they’ve got the mouth-breathers onside already, but they eventually aim too high and, with nothing in the way of proper evidence, start making shit up to try to convince the rest of us as well. But perhaps I’m being too harsh there – it may be that they know we won’t fall for it, and are simply looking to incite even more anger and intolerance toward their targets. 

Either way, at that point, the truth and logical thought go out the window. Just make your point, state the facts, and we’ll see where we go from there. But don't expect me to believe your shit if all you have as evidence is a load of bollocks.

Because their works are always forwarded by a third party, it’s usually impossible to know where it’s originated, but I’m willing to give credit where it’s due, and say that if you send it to me, I trust that you believe everything in the message (especially if it ends with something like, “If you care about our country pass this on”), and you’ll be subject to any and all ridicule and derision I would otherwise direct at the originator.

In future posts, I’ll be sharing some of the masterpieces I’ve received, along with a closer look at each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment